Monday, May 21, 2007

Cute. Comfortable. {Covered}


I'm loving the trend right now of {not} letting it all hang out. It’s especially nice for those of us who have {various} things we prefer not to publicly display- or, for women who simply like the idea of comfort.

Layers Clothing and Shabby Apple are both two of my new favorite companies who aim to do just that: Keep you looking smart and fashionable, without anyone thinking that maybe you shouldn't be wearing that.

I went to a Shabby Apple trunk show in New York a few weeks ago and immediately fell in love. “After years of not being able to find stylish dresses that covered enough skin to make you really feel comfortable (without wearing a tank top, cardigan or long slip), owners Emily and CK decided to do something about it…. [Shabby Apple is] a return to what dresses were always meant to be — a one-piece outfit. No need to add anything...no tank tops, no cardigans, nothing (except accessories, of course!).”

Paired with gold peep-toes, the Nine to Five looks chic and stylish. The Campus Queen is comfortable, cute and easy (I wear mine with silver flats, or flip flops).

Layers is giving me a difficult time in that I can’t decide what I want, because I want ALL of it, especially the darling Marilyn or Gracie swimsuits, which are both girlie & cute without being too Va-Va-Voom for the kids at the pool. The Cloe is a perfectly sweet, simple and comfortable dress that will make you look put together and now in no time.

For basics, or to make the unwearable wearable again, Shade Clothing and Mod Bod provide great staples with their swimsuit, maternity and tshirt lines (Shade has a great Basic Black dress line as well). Hooray for anxiety-free shopping.

10 comments:

  1. good picks, Kathryn. I really like the Cloe dress and the suits you picked out. Especially the Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love these companies! Cute, comfortable and affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a fan of the Shade Basic Black line. It is not qutie as affordable as Shabby though, and that is what makes me a huge Shabby fan... even though I have yet to buy a dress from them- whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi- My two Shabby dresses are my FAVORITE. I absolutely love them. They are so comfortable, so flattering, and SO affordable. You need to order one. Now. (I can help with sizing if you don't feel safe guessing)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree, these are great! kelli b.- did you know that Margaret's sister, from Boston II ward, started shabby apple...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz. I had no idea. Very cool! I haven't tried any of these companies but have heard a lot about them. The dresses are great picks, Kathryn. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got a bathing suit from Shade that I LOVE!! It holds the "girls" up and is so flattering. Move over J.Crew...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me laugh Jules. It's always a good find when a bathingsuit fits YOUR body, right?? The thing is..for those of us who don't have to worry about "holding the 'girls' up" (me!!), I thank everything good for JCrew suits: straight and flat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the Campus Queen is more of a need for me than a want. And it's always good to hear personal testimonials...so thank you Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Missy, you haven't ordered it yet? Tell Devin it's time for a "just because" gift.

    I LOVE mine (with a capital "L"). Mike was confused at first ("is it a dress, or a shirt? I don't get it"), but it has grown on him. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...