Monday, January 29, 2007

World's Oldest Mum

When is a woman to old to bear children? I think in most cases it's completely up to the woman, her spouse and their circumstances (ie the life they can provide for the child). However, while I was listening to the news, they discussed a new mom who is believed to be the world's oldest mother at the age of 67. Her name is Carmela, and she is from Spain. She gave birth to twin boys just after Christmas.

According to the news, she sold her home in Spain to raise $59,000 which covered in vitro fertilization in California. She lied about her age to the doctors. Carmela is also on the prowl for a younger man, who likes kids.

“Often circumstances put you between a rock and a hard place and maybe things shouldn’t have been done in the way they were done but that was the only way to achieve the thing I had always dreamed of and I did it,” Carmela said.

I keep wondering two things: 1) how will she deal with the tiring demands of motherhood in her ripe old age? 2) it seems somewhat selfish to conceive and give birth to children at that age, when you knowingly could die and leave them alone before they celebrate their 10th birthday.

On the other side, we know how fulfilling motherhood can be and what it's like to love a little person beyond what we thought capable. Shouldn't every desiring woman experience it? Even if she's 67 years-old?

I'm not so sure if it most likely compromises the children's well-being and future. But yet my heart still goes out to this new mom. Even though she might be a little crazy (I'm not trying to be mean, she just kind of is), I still find myself welcoming her into motherhood. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I feel either. I'm having an inner conflict between not judging (missy's previous post) and feeling that there has to be boundries when it comes to competency in mothering. It truly has to be a selfless job (I was up 15 times last night with a sick son= no sleep for me) and how can it be when you're not in a position in your life to give as much as you should. I guess I'm happy for her to be able to experience the joys of motherhood, but I'm hoping for the best for those twins: that they will experience more joy than disappointment and loss (when they have an absent mother.) I wish her luck. And it makes me reflect on whether or not the decisions I make in my own life are really to better the lives of the people I love..or my own.
    Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about her a while ago, I think. Several thoughts...

    I think you are right. Every woman (that desires it) should be able to conceive and bear a child because with it comes the greatest emotions and love beyond what we previously knew. And THAT? Is life changing.

    I don't want to judge her, (thanks for the reminder Kelli!) but I would hope that she hires some help. Because how she will get up at 3 am with not only one, but two newborns and teething 10 month olds is beyond me. I have no idea.

    I will judge her in that she should not have lied about her age. That decision did not affect only her. It has affected (whether negatively or positively, I won't say) two little beings that will be dependent on her forever. Or at least as long as she lives.

    I'm about ready to be on the prowl to help her find a husband that loves kids too. I think those babies need at least one parent rather than a "nanny" once their mother passes.

    Interesting post Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like that we now have a "current events" tab. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...