Monday, December 8, 2008

Tips and Ideas


Please remember that savings are savings. Even if you only save $10 dollars and spend $30 that's awesome! Don't feel like you have to spend more and use more coupons just to get the savings higher. I wish I could write all the "tips" I have, but that would be too long! Remember to ask if there is something you still are wondering about~

Basic Tips

$~ Shop earlier. If you are like me and like fresh produce etc a lot of those items are marked lower in the mornings. The items are not as fresh later in the day and the store may remove the sale as the stock lowers for that item.

$~ Get cash and only use it to buy your groceries that month. This forces you to stay in budget.

$~ Keep a price list, if you have a hard time remember what is a good price. A good example I always use is chicken breasts. While walking through the store I noticed a sale that had not been advertised on chicken. It was $1.39 a pound. I remembered I used to pay $1.79 and at one point we were even paying $2.10. I almost bought it, but I remembered I can get it for $1.19 a couple times a year elsewhere so I skipped and sure enough it later went on sale. If you find a really low price write it down. (Some online programs do this for you so you may not need to).

$~ Keep a rolling list. I write down everything I am running low on or am completely out of in addition to things I need for regular groceries. Cross things out as you get them and move the remaining items to next weeks list. If you are aware you are running low on toilet paper you will begin to watch for sales and coupons thus eliminating buying things in desperation or at higher prices.

$~You don't have to buy every sale or use every coupon.
It is easy to get excited and start buying things when you are walking around the store and you see it on sale. Just because you have a coupon or something is on sale does not mean you are going to get the "best" deal. Even if there is a great deal going on with a coupon the generic brand may still be a lower price than the sale and coupon combo.

$~ Some stores give additional discounts for using your own "green" grocery bags.

$~ Get an awards card for every grocery store you go to. Go to customer service or ask in line if that store has a rewards program. Stores will give additional incentives like, money back, take an additional percentage off your next purchase and/or give fuel rewards to those who are members of the program.

$~ Only buy the produce you will be using that week or if you don't shop often then buy for two weeks at a time. You don't want to overbuy and waste or not buy enough and keep going back for more.

$~ Don't go back and forth to the store. If I forgot to get tomatoes for Bruschetta Chicken we aren't having it. I almost never run to the store for one more thing. We have even gone without milk for two days because I am too tempted to buy more than just that if I go to the store and I want my groceries to last. This rarely happens because I stick to my list.

$~ If you see an amazing sale on something you always use and you have a coupon then get it. Every now and again you might find something that is worth going off the list.

$~ Stockpile!!!! I promise that buying a couple of things at a great price is going to save you money. This is where having multiples of one coupon pay off.

$~ Walmart does price match if you have the ad, but many times the price is already that low anyway. You can do all of your shopping at one place if you prefer.
(NOTE
: If you can go to a store with a rewards program then you really are saving more because you will get the reward back from that store. Walmart can be good for some things, but so far I am still a grocery store girl... you decide what works best for you.)

4 comments:

  1. All great ideas, thank you for sharing them! I have to say, I cannot go 2 days without milk. But one of the best ways to "save" money I've heard is that if you need milk, it's better to go to Rite Aid or 7-11 to get it, because that's a place you probably will only buy what you need to get, rather than walking down tempting grocery store aisles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been great to read and very inspiring. I was hoping you could answer a couple of questions or debunk a couple of myths. A lot of people always tell me that by the time you drive to all the different stores to get what's on sale, clip coupons, pay for the newspaper subscription, etc. etc., that it ends up that you aren't really saving anything because of time and gas spent. Also, a lot of people tell me that in order to save the most money, you have to be willing to eat a lot of things like mac n cheese and not necessarily be eating all that healthy or great. Have you heard this a lot? Do you think you still save a lot regardless? Can you eat how you would like? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elise, I agree with you on the milk that it is hard to go without it. I will say that it was only once. You just have to decide to make a budget and keep to it then stockpile. We don't run out of things anymore because we are aware of exactly what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the great tips :o) I'm going to try only going grocery shopping once a week... because I find myself not planning, and going to the store waaaaay too often!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...